These Devices Are Available In Three Types Of Masks:
1. Nasal masks are essential for people who find it difficult to sleep. They are portable thus making them convenient to use.
2. Oral masks are meant for people who sleep with their mouths open. They have a humidifier that prevents the mouth from drying.
3. Triangular masks easily fit any face shape.
The Major Functions Of These Machines Are:
– To force air through the nostrils
– To regulate the air pressure when the patient exhales thus maintaining a proper balance of air
The Main Objectives Of The Device Include:
– Improves the overall oxygenation in the body by assisting in the breathing process
– Reduces the effort of the lungs in breathing
– Improves the functioning of the heart
How Does Machine Work?
The treatment device works by means of a small air pump attached to a mask, fitted over the mouth of the patient. The device checks the breath and controls the type of pressure needed by the patient for breathing in and out. Most machines feature a humidifier that helps keep the area around the nostrils moist.
The band used to fasten the device to the patient’s face should be well-fitting to prevent leakage and disturbance of air pressure.
Benefits Of The Machines Include:
– These machines work effectively in the treatment of sleep apnea. The clinical status and the blood gas levels of the patient improve drastically.
– They treat central sleep apneas related to cerebrovascular accidents and cardiac failures.
– Most patients have excellent compliance rates with these machines.
– These machines help patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
Disadvantages Of The Devices Are:
– Nose Bleeding – This comes as a result of nasal dryness which lasts up to two days. The problem clears up after this period.
– Snoring – This is usually caused by incorrect pressure settings. Ensure that your device has the correct pressure settings to solve this problem.
– Skin Irritation – This problem is caused by the pressure exerted by the mask on the face. The problem reduces after the patient gets used to wearing the mask.
– Cost – The cost of these machines is usually high compared to the other machines used to treat sleep apnea.
It is recommended that you consult your doctor before you begin using the treatment machine. Your doctor will fit the machine for you and will help you determine the kind of pressure you need to help you breathe normally and naturally during your sleep. The doctor will also help you solve any problems that come with using the machine.
If you have problems using the machine, your doctor will allow you to stop using it for a few days. It is also important to note that such machines can only be bought if the patient has a prescription from a qualified medical practitioner.