There are supplements on the market that tout better brain power, potentially keeping users’ brain sharp and focused. They typically fall under nootropics, which are vitamins for energy and mental prowess at the same time. They address the root cause of fatigue – instead of just alleviating the symptoms on the surface – and provide profound benefits for enhanced mental states.
Just what are these brain and energy vitamins that one can explore for better physical and mental performance? Here are some of them:
- Caffeine – This powerful nootropic is more than just a stimulant. In fact, it improves not just mental alertness and reduces fatigue, but also enhances brain function. It boosts the workings of the brain and central nervous system, releasing dopamine to provide pleasurable feelings and to regulate one’s focus. A little caffeine goes a long, long way, so it is important for brain vitamins, for instance, to contain just the right amount or about 100 milligrams for optimal effects.
- L-theanine – Derived from tea leaves, this has been used for centuries for effective stress relief without leading to drowsiness or nausea. This herb mixes well with caffeine and highlights its great qualities, helping eliminate potential adverse effects. The two substances produce a smooth, gradual release of energy, resulting in enhanced concentration and greater productivity throughout the day.
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) – DHA is often promoted as the single most important nutrient for well-functioning brains. This omega-3 fatty acid is a primary building block of the cerebral cortex, the brain region responsible for language, memory, emotion, attention, and creativity. It is also instrumental in brain cell communication, and low levels of it have been linked to anger, depression, ADHD, and serious mental conditions.
- Phosphatidylserine (PS) – This phospholipid is an integral part of cell membranes in the human body, found in outstandingly high concentrations in one’s brain. It is deemed the organ’s gatekeeper, regulating which nutrients enter the brain and how waste products get out. It can boost memory, concentration, cognition, and learning, and help with ADGD and attention problems.
- N acetyl L-tyrosine (NALT) – Another common feature of vitamins for energy and brain power is NALT, an important amino acid helping boost cognitive processing and regulate cell growth. It calms the body and mind and manages any stress that one encounters. Through alleviating anxiety, it helps users stay focused on task. With a stimulated brain and enhanced neural communication, NALT can lead to reduced stress, greater mental energy, and improved focus.
- Ginkgo biloba – This time-tested herb is often touted as a cognitive enhance in healthy adults, and a beneficial agent in treating anxiety, stress, and depression. It is typically used as an adjunct when taken alongside drugs from ADHD and schizophrenia, with great potential for enhancing memory and daily quality of life.
The best vitamin for energy is perhaps also one that tackles mental power, as the combination of optimally performing body and mind is a cornerstone of health and wellness.